Friday, May 11, 2018

Enchilada Casserole

I spend time every weekend online looking for new recipes to cook for the family. Things that the kids might eat, things that are at least somewhat reletively healthy, that don't take too long to cook and/or have at least an element that can be made ahead of time.
(That last one sticks in my craw a little as we have one of those side by side fridges where 1/3 of the fridge is the freezer, which means all the shelves are narrow and short, which fills up fast and makes it impossible to premake things and keep them in the fridge.)

Anyhoo I have been focusing less on flipping through stacks of cookbooks and using Pinterest more to narrow my search options to find things that might fit not only my requirements from above but also what ingredients I have on hand.  And it works pretty good, other than SO MANY websites that have 38 pictures of the exact same plate of food at 7 slightly different angles before you can see the recipe.  Not a fan of this trend.

So!  I found this recipe for an enchilada casserole that ticked off some of my boxes and I love Mexican style food and tater tots.

I made the enchilada sauce from scratch seeing as it is very hard to find canned enchilada sauce here.  But that is ok - it is an easy thing to do, and if/when I find the recipe I used this time, I will share it with you. 


After I made the sauce, I cooked the meat and simmered it with the other sauce ingredients, and then I cooled it and stored it in the fridge, since a 9x13 pan of food wouldn't fit in the fridge.  Then on meal day all we had to do was dump the meat in the dish, add some cheese and tots and cook!

Here's the recipe - easy beef enchilada tator tot casserole